EXECUTIVE DECREE No.415 OF JUNE 13, 2012 THROUGH WHICH WITHIN THE MIGRATORY CATEGORY OF PERMANENT RESIDENT IT IS CREATED THE SUBCATEGORY OF PERMANENT RESIDENT AS DIPLOMATS AND MEMBERS OF INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS OF COUNTRIES THAT HAVE FRIENDLY DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH THE REPUBLIC OF PANAMA, WHO HAVE CEASED TO WORK IN THEIR RESPECTIVE POSITIONS
Law Decree 3 of 2008, which created the National Migration Service, The Migratory Career and issued other stipulations, in its articles 14 and 15 ordered that foreigners who enter the territory of the Republic of Panama may do so under the migratory categories of Non Resident, Resident, Temporary, Permanent Resident and Foreigner under the protection of the Republic of Panama.
The Executive Branch will regulate the migratory categories and subcategories, the procedures, the manner and conditions under which the permits and visas will be issued, in accordance with the principles of national security, salubriousness, public order and protection of the rights and liberties, and it will also regulate the conditions and requirements that must be complied with in order to apply to each one of the migratory categories and may create other migratory sub-categories.
1. Within the migratory category of Permanent Resident it is created the subcategory of Permanent Resident as Diplomats and Members of International Organizations of countries that have friendly diplomatic relations with the Republic of Panama, who have ceased to work in their respective positions and wish to establish their domicile in the Panamanian territory, along with their dependants, for the development of economic activities that allow them an adequate income.
2. In addition to the common requirements set forth in article 28 of the Law Decree No. 3 of February 22, 2008, the persons who choose to have this benefit must comply with the following special requirements:
- a. Certification of the Ministry of Foreign Relations of the country of origin or of the corresponding International Organization acknowledging such person as a diplomat, member or part of the workforce of an International Organization in order to render services in the Republic of Panama, for a period not shorter than four years.
- b. To prove that his/her diplomatic work in the Republic of Panama has deserved special recognition by the Panamanian Government.
- c. To prove that (s)he has had university education or equivalent in any discipline of human knowledge.
- d. Letter of recognition and recommendation of the Ministry of Foreign Relations of the Republic of Panama.
- e. Letter of responsibility and certification that proves the kinship in case of having dependants.
4. The Permanent Resident permit that is authorized by virtue of this Executive Decree authorizes the interested parties and their dependants to reside in the country for an indefinite period and a card of indefinite stay will be granted to them.